2017-2018 | Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Mechanical Engineering Technology, Mechanical Transfer Option, A.A.S.
The Mechanical Transfer option is designed for students who wish to pursue a baccalaureate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology at a four-year institution. This program prepares students with a solid foundation in mathematics, science, and mechanical principles. The mechanical courses cover basic engineering statics and dynamics, strength of materials, fluid mechanics, machine design, materials technology, drafting, CAD, and 3D solid modeling. In addition to physics and calculus, students will study manufacturing processes, hydraulics and pneumatics, and basic DC and AC circuits.
Graduates of this program can function as drafters/designers, mechanical design technicians, tool/fixture designers, sales/customer service technicians, or applications engineers should they wish to seek employment upon graduation. Those who wish to transfer to a baccalaureate degree-granting institution are encouraged to work early on with their advisor who will place them in contact with that institution. Edison and the University of Dayton and Miami University have a particularly strong partnership in Engineering Technology and interested students will meet UD and Miami faculty very early in their studies at Edison.
The student will:
- Demonstrate basic competence in developing 2D and 3D engineering drawings/models.
- Demonstrate basic competence in engineering design and analysis using applications of mathematics, physics and engineering mechanics.
- Demonstrate familiarity with basic manufacturing processes.
- Explain the mechanical and physical properties of various engineering materials.
- Design parts/products in accordance with specified design parameters, utilizing problem-solving skills as required.
- Explain the ethical considerations involved in the design of a product per industry standards.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.
- Apply effective interpersonal and teamwork skills.