Students who choose the Mobile Powered Equipment option are introduced to the fundamentals of servicing, repairing and maintaining mobile powered equipment. It brings together classroom instruction and hands-on lab experience to provide students with a complete background in the mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and engine systems inherent in a wide range of mobile powered equipment. Students will have the opportunity to work on such diverse equipment as skid-steer loaders, tractor/loader backhoes, excavators, rough terrain forklifts, compaction equipment, manlifts, landscaping equipment, road building equipment, demolition equipment, grounds maintenance equipment, utility tractors, commercial mowers, and hand-held gasoline and diesel-powered tools.
In addition to coursework, students will be expected to find employment during at least one internship period while in the program. With the internship experience, students will gain valuable on-the-job training, make important industry contacts and earn money. They will be able to convert this experience into college credit for their program. Upon graduation, students can expect to find work in service departments at dealerships of equipment manufacturers, at major equipment manufacturers, construction/contractor companies, landscaping operations, governmental agencies using this equipment, and at independently-owned service facilities.
The student will:
- Demonstrate proficiency in the servicing and repair of engines (both gasoline and diesel-powered) and related components of mobile powered machinery;
- Demonstrate proficiency in the servicing and repair of mobile mechanical, power train, hydraulic and hydrostatic systems;
- Acquire a practical knowledge of both electrical and electronic systems and related components of mobile powered machinery;
- Demonstrate problem solving skills and the application of troubleshooting techniques to equipment service problems;
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills;
- Apply effective interpersonal and teamwork skills.