Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip navigation
Share this:
FacebookShare.svg TwitterShare.svg InstagramShare.svg YouTubeShare.svg PinterestShare.svg TumblrShare.svg
    Apr 21, 2021  
2017-2018 | Academic Catalog 
2017-2018 | Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Important Things To Know


Edison State Community College provides the learning opportunities, support services and commitment that enable students to complete their educational goals and realize their dreams.


Edison State offers five different degrees, two of which are designed to transfer to a four-year college or university, and three which prepare graduates for immediate employment.  Before beginning any degree, students should familiarize themselves with the following information.

Degrees Overview

Associate of Arts Degree

The Associate of Arts degree parallels a traditional university liberal arts degree. It provides an excellent academic background and permits a student to choose a major in the junior year. This is a two-year degree and could be completed in 24 months.

Associate of Science Degree

The Associate of Science degree parallels a university professional degree and leads to careers in such areas as science, business, and technology. This is a two-year degree and could be completed in 24 months.

Associate of Applied Business Degree

The Associate of Applied Business degree provides preparation for a career in business and prepares students for immediate employment. This is a two-year degree and could be completed in 24 months.

Associate of Applied Science Degree

The Associate of Applied Science degree offers technical education preparing students for immediate employment in a non-business career. This is a two-year degree and could be completed in 24 months.

Associate of Technical Study Degree

The Associate of Technical Study degree permits a student to design an individualized program preparing students for immediate employment in a technical career. This is a two-year degree and could be completed in 24 months.

General Education

General education courses are required in all programs to provide a broad foundation in different subjects and to develop different ways of thinking. All colleges require general education courses in the liberal arts, math, science, the arts, and often, computers.

Guarantee of Job Competency (AAS and AAB Degrees)

Edison State Community College guarantees to its Associate of Applied Science and Associate of Applied Business degree graduates that they will possess the appropriate technical job skills identified in the program outcomes for a specific degree. The guarantee applies only to graduates employed on a full-time basis in an area directly related to the program. Employment must begin within 12 months of graduation.

If a graduate is judged by his or her employer to lack the technical job skills identified in the program outcomes, the graduate will be provided with up to 6 tuition-free semester credit hours of additional courses at Edison State Community College.

Cost of books, insurance, equipment, uniforms, laboratory and activity fees, and other course-related expenses are the responsibility of the graduate.

To qualify for the guarantee, the graduate must:

  • Apply for the guarantee within 6 months of initial employment.
  • Provide a written certification from the employer stating that the employee lacks specific job skills related directly to the degree program's outcomes.
  • Meet with a program advisor to develop a written educational plan for retraining.
  • Complete the retraining program within the college's regularly scheduled classes within one calendar year of the original application. The guarantee applies only to employment, not to any licensing or qualifying exams.

To qualify for the guarantee, the graduate must apply formally by completing the Guarantee Application and submitting the form to the Provost for approval.

Guarantee of Transfer Credit (AA and AS Degrees)

Edison State Community College guarantees to its Associate of Arts and Associate of Science graduates that Edison State credits will transfer to Ohio colleges and universities.

The guarantee applies to all courses included in a written transfer agreement with a specific college or university and to all courses transferred for general education under terms of the state Transfer Module. Courses outside the Transfer Module and not included in a transfer agreement may transfer, but they are not guaranteed.

This guarantee assures you that an Edison staff member will work with you personally to ensure that your credits transfer. Your Edison State advisor will assist you in designing the appropriate transfer program and, if necessary, become your advocate in dealing with your transfer college.

To qualify for the guarantee, you are responsible for:

  • Scheduling your classes with the signed approval of an Edison State advisor. Following the program outlined in the agreement with your transfer college or in the Transfer Module.
  • Transferring your Edison State credits within 12 months of completing your degree requirements. For assistance with any transfer questions, contact the an advisor in the Student Services Office.

"2 + 2" University Transfer Options

Edison State's "2 + 2 University Transfer" degrees are your gateway to over 250 bachelor's degrees at Ohio's public and private universities, as well as to colleges across the U.S. Edison State's small class sizes and affordable tuition make it easy to launch your bachelor's degree right here at home. Edison State's academic deans, advisors and faculty work closely with the staff at four-year institutions to keep programs up-to-date and transferable. The College maintains agreements and transfer guides listing the specific courses which should be taken at Edison State for popular majors at nearby universities. Degree requirements at Edison State are flexible enough to permit the creation of programs of study oriented to fit nearly any interest. See an advisor to learn more about degree options available from Edison State.

Associate of Arts (AA) Degree

The Associate of Arts degree is intended for students planning to complete at Edison State the first two years of a Bachelor of Arts degree. The AA degree also is for students seeking two years of general education, with an emphasis in the arts, social sciences or humanities.

Requirements for the Associate of Arts (AA) degree are outlined here .

Associate of Science (AS) Degree

The Associate of Science degree is intended for students planning to complete at Edison State the first two years of a Bachelor of Science degree. This program also serves students seeking two years of general education with an emphasis in the physical and natural sciences, mathematics or business.

Requirements for the Associate of Science (AS) degree are outlined here .

The Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degree can be used as a stepping stone to a baccalaureate degree or as an end unto itself. For certain persons who are well-established in their careers the attainment of an AA or AS can be the achievement of lifelong goals and can broaden their appreciation of the arts and sciences.

Edison State's Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degrees permit a student to complete the first two years of study for nearly any baccalaureate major and to transfer to a four-year institution. Edison State's transfer courses parallel those courses that comprise the first two years of a bachelor's degree. Students generally specialize in a major during the junior and senior years after transferring. If a student is undecided about a major field of study, advisors will help plan a general program that meets the basic lower division requirements of most colleges and universities. If choosing a four-year college or a major is a problem, Edison State provides advice and information needed to make an informed choice.

Edison State students transfer to many four-year colleges and universities across the country, including nearly all public colleges in Ohio. Some of the universities to which recent Edison State graduates have transferred include:

Ball State University Miami University
Bluffton University Ohio University
Bowling Green State University Ohio Northern University
Capital University The Ohio State University
Cedarville University Tiffin University
University of Cincinnati University of Toledo
University of Dayton Urbana University
The Defiance College Wittenberg University
University of Findlay Wright State University
Franklin University Xavier University
Indiana University East  

Students intending to transfer should identify their transfer institutions as soon as possible, consult with both Edison State and university advisors, and carefully follow the Transfer Module .

State Transfer Policy

Institutional Transfer

The Ohio Board of Regents in 1990, following a directive of the 119 Ohio General Assembly, developed the Ohio Articulation and Transfer Policy to facilitate students' ability to transfer credits from one Ohio public college or university to another in order to avoid duplication of course requirements. A subsequent policy review and recommendations produced by the Articulation and Transfer Advisory Council in 2004, together with mandates from the 125th Ohio General Assembly in the form of Amended Substitute House Bill 95, have prompted improvements of the original policy. While all state-assisted colleges and universities are required to follow the Ohio Articulation and Transfer Policy, independent colleges and universities in Ohio may or may not participate in the transfer policy. Therefore, students interested in transferring to independent institutions are encouraged to check with the college or university of their choice regarding transfer agreements. In support of improved articulation and transfer processes, the Ohio Board of Regents will establish a transfer clearinghouse to receive, annotate, and convey transcripts among state-assisted colleges and universities. This system is designed to provide standardized information and help colleges and universities reduce undesirable variability in the transfer credit evaluation process.  More information on Ohio's Transfer to Degree Guarantee can be found here. 

Transfer Module

The Ohio Board of Regents' Transfer and Articulation Policy established the Transfer Module , which is a subset or entire set of a college or university's general education curriculum in A.A., A.S. and baccalaureate degree programs. Students in applied associate degree programs may complete some individual transfer module courses within their degree program or continue beyond the degree program to complete the entire transfer module. The Transfer Module contains 54-60 quarter hours or 36-40 semester hours of course credit in English composition (minimum 5-6 quarter hours or 3 semester hours); mathematics, statistics and formal/symbolic logic (minimum of 3 quarter hours or 3 semester hours); arts/humanities (minimum 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours); social and behavioral sciences (minimum of 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours); and natural sciences (minimum 9 quarter hours or 6 semester hours). Oral communication and interdisciplinary areas may be included as additional options. Additional elective hours from among these areas make up the total hours for a completed Transfer Module. Courses for the Transfer Module should be 100- and 200-level general education courses commonly completed in the first two years of a student's course of study. Each state-assisted university, technical and community college is required to establish and maintain an approved Transfer Module.

Transfer Module course(s) or the full module completed at one college or university will automatically meet the requirements of individual Transfer Module course(s) or the full Transfer Module at another college or university once the student is admitted. Students may be required, however, to meet additional general education requirements at the institution to which they transfer. For example, a student who completes the Transfer Module at Institution S (sending institution) and then transfers to Institution R (receiving institution) is said to have completed the Transfer Module portion of Institution R's general education program. Institution R, however, may have general education courses that go beyond its Transfer Module. State policy initially required that all courses in the Transfer Module be completed to receive its benefit in transfer. However, subsequent policy revisions have extended this benefit to the completion of individual Transfer Module courses on a course-by-course basis.

Transfer Assurance Guides

Transfer Assurance Guides  (TAGs) comprise Transfer Module  courses and additional courses required for an academic major. A TAG is an advising tool to assist Ohio university and community and technical college students planning specific majors to make course selections that will ensure comparable, compatible, and equivalent learning experiences across the state's higher-education system. A number of area-specific TAG pathways in the arts, humanities, business, communication, education, health, mathematics, science, engineering, engineering technologies, and the social sciences have been developed by faculty teams.

TAGs empower students to make informed course selection decisions and plans for their future transfer. Advisors at the institution to which a student wishes to transfer should also be consulted during the transfer process. Students may elect to complete the full TAG or any subset of courses from the TAG. Because of specific major requirements, early identification of a student's intended major is encouraged.

AA and AS Advising Track Options

Academic work toward virtually any major at any college in the nation can be started at Edison State. To transfer efficiently students must take courses that can be applied to the specific degree requirements at the institution to which they intend to transfer. Edison State's pre-defined Advising Track Options detail the specific requirements needed to transfer into popular majors.

The Associate of Arts degree is intended for students planning to complete at Edison State the first two years of a Bachelor of Arts degree. The AA degree also is for students seeking two years of general education, with an emphasis in the arts, social sciences or humanities. Associate of Arts Advising Track options include:

The Associate of Science degree is intended for students planning to complete at Edison State the first two years of a Bachelor of Science degree. This program also serves students seeking two years of general education with an emphasis in the physical and natural sciences, mathematics or business. Associate of Science Advising Track options include:

Career Education

Occupational and technical programs at Edison State prepare students for careers in business, engineering, health and public service. These two-year programs also assist students who want formal training toward advancement in their present jobs.

Career education programs lead to the Associate of Applied Business, Associate of Applied Science or the Associate of Technical Study Degree. Although designed to prepare students for employment upon graduation, a number of the career education programs will transfer to four-year institutions. Credits accepted for transfer vary according to the programs and policy of the receiving institution.

Most career degree programs have too many technical courses and not enough general studies courses to transfer as the equivalent of two full years of a baccalaureate degree. Students planning to transfer a career degree may wish to take additional general studies courses before transferring to the senior institution. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their options with a faculty advisor.

A minimum of 15 semester hours is required in general studies with actual specifications listed under each technical program curriculum. Additionally, specialized and supporting courses are identified for individual programs. Substitution of courses may be permitted, but substitutions require prior approval from the student's advisor and the Dean. The student must complete the courses specified for the program in order to meet degree requirements.

Associate of Applied Business

The Associate of Applied Business degree is designed to educate persons for immediate entry into business careers. Although many of the courses in the curricula will transfer to four-year institutions, the degree exists to prepare graduates for employment. Courses tend to teach practical skills leading to entry level positions in business. Specific areas include accounting, business management, computer information technology, paralegal, marketing, commercial art, and office systems and administration. Such degrees often serve as "door openers," providing better opportunity for promotion.

Requirements for the Associate of Applied Business (AAB) degree are outlined here .

Associate of Applied Science

The Associate of Applied Science degree prepares students for careers in technology, health, and service fields. The programs provide primarily technical courses with practical application and lead to entry-level jobs immediately upon graduation. Some courses or programs are accepted at four-year colleges and universities. Edison State's Associate of Applied Science programs include electronics, early childhood development, mechanical engineering technology, social services, industrial management, physical therapist assistant and nursing. In addition to leading to immediate employment, AAS degrees also can help individuals move up more rapidly on the job.

Requirements for the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree are outlined here .

Associate of Technical Study

The Associate of Technical Study degree program is open to any student whose educational goals cannot be accomplished through existing programs. Intended for those with specialized technical interests, the Associate of Technical Study degree allows the student to develop, with the guidance of an academic advisor, an individualized technical program. This program must establish an educational goal and include specific courses required to accomplish that goal.

A minimum of 30 semester hours, or 50% of the total program, must be in a clearly identifiable area of concentration. This technical component may be developed by combining two or more academic disciplines. General studies and related courses must each account for a minimum of 15 semester hours or 25% of the program total. The ATS degree will require a total of 60-72 semester hours. Graduation requirements are the same as those for the AAB and AAS degrees.

The Associate of Technical Study application form is available in the Student Services Office. The student must fill out sections 1-9 and submit the form to the Dean of the area related to the student's field of choice. A committee is formed which evaluates the application, the student's potential for completing the program, and the occupational potential of the goal. Committee approval is required for admission to the program, and subsequent granting of the ATS degree. The student must apply prior to completing 40 semester hours which apply to the degree. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be transferred into  this degree program.

Requirements for the Associate of Technical Study (ATS) degree are outlined here .

One-Year Technical Certificates

Edison State offers several One-Year Technical Certificates within the career program areas. The courses outlined in each certificate lead to an Associate degree for the program sponsoring the certificate. Students generally receive certificates for the completion of 30-37 semester hours of coursework. Each one-year certificate could be completed in 12 months.

Short-Term Technical Certificates

The Short-Term Technical Certificate is designed for a specific employment situation. These certificate programs consist of fewer than 30 semester credit hours. Students successfully completing the prescribed course of study receive certificates of completion.
IMPORTANT   Financial aid is not available for Short-Term Technical certificates.

Fast Track

The Fast Track option gives people the skills to enter a new job field or advance in their current one. Each track contains four to six courses that can be completed in a year or less. To receive Certificate of Completion students must complete the required courses with a grade of "C" or better and complete an Application for Certificate. Required courses for Fast Track options are listed by subject with associate degree options and certificates.
IMPORTANT  Financial aid is not available for Fast Track options.
NOTE  Successful completion of course prerequisites is required.


Academic Credit

All academic services provided by Edison State Community College are designed to facilitate the formal learning process and to ensure that high academic standards are maintained. The College offers a range of high quality programs and course work, including developmental courses intended to improve the academic skills of the individual student, courses comprising the first two years of baccalaureate programs, career programs intended as preparation for employment, and non-credit community and continuing education programs designed to respond to specialized needs of the people, businesses and industries in the service area.

Each course (except those of a continuing education nature) is assigned a number of credits representing the amount of time spent in classroom and laboratory each week. Since the College currently operates under a calendar divided into semesters, these credits are known as semester hour credits. In general, one credit represents one hour of classroom instruction or two hours of laboratory or clinical instruction.

Transfer to Edison State

Credit will be granted toward an Edison State degree for acceptable work completed at other approved colleges and universities for courses in which the student has earned a grade of "C" (2.0) or better.  As of Fall 2005, a grade of "D" (1.0) or better will be considered for transfer.  Although transfer credits accepted from other collegiate institutions will be entered on the student's permanent record at Edison State Community College, the grades earned in those courses will not be used to compute the student's cumulative grade point average. Some credits may not apply to specific degree programs. In some programs, credits must have been earned within a certain time period to be considered current and acceptable.

Since 20 credit hours in a degree program must be completed at Edison State Community College for a student to receive an Edison State degree, the effective limit on transfer credit is 40-53 hours, depending upon the program in which the student is enrolled.

Students who intend to transfer to another collegiate institution are advised that the receiving institution may use all grades in computing a grade point average and may not accept in transfer all courses which Edison State accepts.

Responsibilities of Students

In order to facilitate transfer with maximum applicability of transfer credit, prospective transfer students should plan a course of study that will meet the requirements of a degree program at the receiving institution. Students should use the Transfer Module, Transfer Assurance Guides, and Transferology for guidance in planning the transfer process. Specifically, students should identify early in their collegiate studies an institution and major to which they desire to transfer. Furthermore, students should determine if there are language requirements or any special course requirements that can be met during the freshman or sophomore year. This will enable students to plan and pursue a course of study that will articulate with the receiving institution's major. Students are encouraged to seek further information regarding transfer from both their advisor and the college or university to which they plan to transfer.

Appeals Process

Following the evaluation of a student transcript from another institution, Edison State shall provide the student with a statement of transfer credit applicability.  At the same time, the student is informed of the appeals process. A determination of the credit appeal process will be issued within 30 days of the receipt of the appeal.

Credit for Prior Learning

Edison State awards credit for college-level learning gained outside of college through prior learning assessment (PLA). There are a variety of methods which take into account the knowledge adults acquire as they live, work and learn. The methods used by Edison State include:

  1. Business or government training recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE);
  2. Military service training recommended by ACE;
  3. Portfolio evaluation;
  4. Credit by examination;
  5. CLEP exams.

For more information on Credit for Prior Learning click here.

To receive credit a person's knowledge must be documented or verified through one of the above ways as being of college level and appropriate for their degree program. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be earned. To learn more about the available options, consult with an advisor.

Career Technical Credit for High School Students

Edison State has articulation agreements with Greenville High School, Upper Valley Career Center, and other high schools to award credit or give advanced placement to career technical school graduates of specific programs. The following are some of the program areas at Edison State with agreements:  Information Technology, Early Childhood Education, Electronics Engineering Technology, and Health Sciences. 

For more information on College Tech Prep, click here  or see your advisor.

Honors Courses

Honors Courses are designed for students seeking challenges in a curriculum that emphasizes scholarship, creativity, leadership and citizenship. Courses may be designated as "Honors" with added content exploration, workload and expectations reflected in an agreement between students and faculty, and approved by the Honors Committee.

Class Delivery Formats

Accelerated Classes

Edison State's accelerated classes meet just eight weeks, but for twice as many hours per week as those required for traditional classes. Fundamental business, math, computer and humanities classes are among the accelerated offerings. Two eight-week terms are scheduled for each Fall and Spring Semester.

Flex Classes

Flex courses have a flexible format where students spend less time in the classroom and more time working on their own. These classes are offered in both 16-week and 8-week time frames. Since the same amount of material is covered as regularly scheduled courses, students need to do more homework and activities on their own. Students need to be self-directed with good time management skills.

Online Courses

Online courses use the same syllabus and text as the traditional on-campus classes; however, students also use Internet tools such as email and the internet to communicate with the professor and others in the class and to complete assignments. Online courses are identified by the section numbers 8xx in WebAdvisor and are time and place independent (students do not meet on campus and usually do not need to be online at specific times).

On-campus testing may be required by some courses and/or instructors. A personal computer, a browser, and access to the internet and email are necessary. Students should be comfortable using a computer and the Internet. Preparation for use of the computer and Internet will help students be successful.

All students enrolling in courses delivered online must demonstrate proficiency in the usage of the computer and internet. Demonstration of proficiency may be accomplished through successfully completing CIT 100S Introduction to Computers  and NET 100S Introduction to the Internet , or the equivalent proficiency exams, such as the XLN 100S Introduction to Online Learning .  Students who have successfully completed an online course at another institution may appeal to waive XLN 100S proficiency.  Students must also place into college-level reading and writing before taking an online course.  Online courses have the same academic rigor as conventional college courses and require self-discipline and motivation from each student to complete assignments. The list of online courses can be reviewed at here .

Web-Flex Classes

In this combination of flex and online, students spend half the time in class as normal and communicate through Blackboard or other web-based course management system the rest of the time.

Interactive Video Conferencing

Students may choose to attend class at either the Darke County Campus or the main campus, while the instructor is at one or the other location. Two-way video technology allows for communication between the classes.

Time Comparisons for Different Class Delivery Formats
Class Format    Class Time
per Week  
Study Time
per Week
Total Time
per Week
of Class 
  Total Time
to Complete
Traditional 3 hours 6 hours 9 hours x 16 weeks = 144 hours
Accelerated 6 hours 12 hours 18 hours x 8 weeks = 144 hours
Flex 1.5 hours 7.5 hours 9 hours x 16 weeks = 144 hours
Accelerated Flex 3 hours 15 hours 18 hours x 8 weeks = 144 hours
Web-Flex, Online Varies Varies 9 hours x 16 weeks = 144 hours

 Table is based on a typical 3 credit hour course.

Academic Regulations

The unit of credit at Edison State Community College is the semester hour. The regular academic year is divided into two semesters and a summer session.

Degree Requirements

Eligibility for an associate degree at Edison State is contingent upon the degree candidate having fulfilled the specific requirements of a particular degree program. In addition, the candidate must have satisfied the following general requirements:

  1. Satisfactory completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours;
  2. Completion at Edison State Community College of 20 credit hours;
  3. Achievement of a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 for work at Edison State;
  4. Achievement of a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for courses which are technical requirements for AAB, AAS and ATS degrees.
    NOTE  Some degree programs have a 2.5 GPA requirement for participation in an internship.

Certificate Requirements

In addition to the specific requirements for the certificate, the candidate must also satisfy the following general requirements:

  1. Satisfactory completion of a minimum of one-half the number of credits required for an associate degree in the same technical field or the requirements for certification in a technical curricular area where no associate degree exists;
  2. Completion at Edison State Community College of 10 credit hours;
  3. Achievement of a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.0 for work at Edison State;
  4. Achievement of a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for courses which are technical requirements for certificate programs.

Requirements for Earning Two Degrees

Students may wish to earn two degrees because of interest in more than one field of study or because their interest changed after completing the first degree. A student may earn a second degree at Edison State provided the following conditions are met:

  1. The degree and program requirements established for each degree must be completed;
  2. At least 10 credit hours of course work beyond the requirements for the first degree must be completed. These credits must be part of the major field of study in which the student earns the degree;
  3. The program of study proposed by the student must be approved in writing by the advisor, the appropriate dean, and the Provost, in that order.


Academic performance in a course in indicated by a letter grade which represents achievement according to the following definitions:

Grade  Definition Grade Points/Credit
Superior achievement of course objectives.
Superior achievement of course objectives in an Honors course.
High achievement of course learning objectives.
High achievement of course learning objectives in an Honors course.
C Satisfactory achievement of course learning objectives.  2
D Some effort and achievement, but not adequate for program completion unless balanced by equivalent credits in which a grade at or exceeding "B" has been earned; in certain instances, may not satisfy prerequisite requirements.  1
F Failure to meet minimum course requirements.  0
S Satisfactory. Meets minimum requirements for mastery of the course. Used only for developmental reading and writing courses. Not computed
in average
U Unsatisfactory. Does not meet minimum requirements for mastery of the course. Used only for developmental reading and writing courses. Not computed
in average
I Incomplete. Awarded when extenuating circumstances beyond the student's control have prevented completion of course requirements, provided that the student's performance to that point is at least of "D" level. Not computed
in average
W Withdrawn Not computed
in average
AUD Audit Not computed
in average
IP In Progress (for Developmental English courses only). Awarded when student is attending class regularly, progressing satisfactorily, but needs additional time to complete course work. Student must re-enroll in the course the following term. Not computed
in average
GNS Grade not submitted by instructor. Not computed
in average
The number appearing to the right of each definition is the number of "grade points" (sometimes known as "honor points" or "quality points") assigned to that grade.
FINANCIAL AID STUDENTS  Grades of "W," "U," "F," "I," "IP," and "GNS" may cause you to become ineligible for aid. Refer to the satisfactory progress policy available in the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Grade Point Average

A student's grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total points (points equal credit hours times the numerical value of the grade) by the total credit hours attempted.

Developmental credits do not count in the calculation of GPA. They do count, however, for the calculation of probation and "satisfactory progress" for financial aid.

The following is an example of this computation:

Course Credit Hours  Grade  Points  Product 
Personal Computer Application 3 B 3 9
Composition I 3 C 2 6
Introduction to Geography 3 C 2 6
Western Civilization to 1715 3 D 1 3
Tennis I 1 A 4 4
Microbiology 2 B 3 6
Total  15     34
GPA = 34/15 = 2.27 


In order to withdraw from a class, a withdraw form must be completed and submitted to Student Services, a faculty advisor, or the Darke County Campus. Withdraw may also be completed using WebAdvisor.  A student officially withdrawing will receive a grade of "W."  The student remains financially responsible for a withdrawn course.

A student may, with the permission of the instructor, attend class after withdrawing from a course, assuming the student has not received a full refund or any portion of a refund for that course.

A student may receive a grade of "W" for any or all courses after the official withdrawal date only if, in the judgment of the department dean upon consultation with the instructor, emergency or extenuating circumstances exist.  It is the student's responsibility to obtain the necessary approval.
FINANCIAL AID NOTE   Financial aid students should schedule an appointment with a financial aid advisor before withdrawing from a class. A grade of "W" may cause a student to become ineligible for aid due to a lack of satisfactory progress and, in some cases, a student may incur a debt to the College or the U.S. Department of Education.

Refund of Fees for Credit Courses

The last day for refund for dropped classes of 8 weeks or more is 14 days from the beginning of the term. The last day for refund for dropped classes lasting 4 through 7 weeks is seven (7) days from the beginning of the term. Courses of shorter duration are not refundable after the beginning of the term. Terms begin on Monday. 

Full refund of instructional fees, general fees, technology fees and laboratory fees shall be granted if the College cancels a course. Refund checks shall be issued after the close of the refund period. The College may require a minimum of thirty (30) days before issuing a refund. For students who withdraw completely from the College, refund checks will be issued only after all accounts have been cleared.


Students are permitted to audit courses and thus receive neither grades nor credits for those courses. Auditing students are expected to attend classes, but are not required to submit assignments or take exams. Fees for auditing are the same as those for enrolling for credit. Changing from audit to credit or from credit to audit is permitted only before the class meets in the second week of the semester.


An "I" (incomplete) may be awarded for unfinished work in a course, but only if the work was not completed because of circumstances which the instructor considers to be unavoidable. An "I" is to be awarded only in instances when the student can possibly earn a passing grade by completing all work. The instructor may specify a time limit of up to 100 calendar days after the final examination of the class.

Removal of an "I" is the responsibility of the student. Failure to remove the "I" prior to the specified date will result in a failing grade.

Full-Time and Part-Time Students

Full-time students are those registered for 12 or more semester hours in a 16-week semester, or six or more semester hours for a summer term. Part-time students are those registered for 11 or fewer semester hours in a 16-week semester, or five or fewer hours for a summer term. Even though financial aid students must register for 12 or more semester hours during any term to be considered full-time and receive a full-time award, part-time students may still receive a part-time award.

Credit Hour Overload

A credit hour overload is defined as:

  • 20 or more credit hours during Fall or Spring Semester or
  • 10 or more credit hours during the Summer Term, Fall Late, or Spring Late.

Students wishing to register for an overload of credits must obtain written permission from one of the following:

  • Director of Student Success
  • Director of Student Services
  • Executive Dean of Darke County Campus

Repeating Courses

Students may repeat courses in which they have received passing, failing, or audit grades. In any case, only the most recent grade and credit hours will be counted in computing the grade point average at Edison State Community College.  The student must secure permission from the Director of Student Success, Registrar, or Executive Dean of the Darke County Campus to repeat a course more than once.
NOTE  Veterans may receive benefits for repeated courses only if the courses had been failed previously.

Independent Study

The Independent Study program is designed to make available courses that are essential to a student's curriculum, but which are not scheduled when the student may enroll. Completing a course on an independent study basis requires that the student take primary responsibility for completing the work with limited supervision by a faculty member.

Before enrolling in an independent study course, the student must obtain an Independent Study form from the Enrollment Services Office. After consultation with an instructor who will supervise the independent study, the student must complete the form and obtain the necessary signatures indicating approval.

Dean's List

A Dean's List is prepared and sent to local newspapers each semester to recognize those students who have maintained outstanding academic achievement. A student completing a minimum of 12 credit hours during the semester at a grade point average of 3.5 or higher will earn such recognition. Using the same criteria, a student carrying less than 12 credit hours will be eligible for the Dean's List for the first time at the end of the semester in which 12 credits are earned, if the cumulative GPA is 3.5 or higher for the eligibility period. Additional eligibility periods would begin with the next semester and end with the semester in which an additional 12 credits are earned (or the total credits earned during the period 12 credits are earned).

SOCHE: Cross Registration

Full-time Edison State students may register for courses offered by other colleges and institutions within the Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) on a space-available basis with the following conditions:

  1. The course is not being offered at Edison State during the current term.
  2. The participant must be a full-time student, including the hours taken at the other school.
  3. The participant must be taking more hours at Edison State than at the other school.
  4. The participant must meet all prerequisites of the host school, abide by that school's deadlines, and be accepted by that school as a student.
  5. A student from a two-year institution can take only freshman and sophomore level courses at a four-year institution.

Interested students should check with the Student Services Office for registration forms and times of registration which may vary from school to school. Registration forms are also available on the web at The signatures of an advisor and the Registrar are required and must be obtained before the participant may register at the host institution.

Consortium "guests" from other colleges, registering at Edison, are also subject to these conditions. Registration for these students opens one week prior to the first day of each term.
NOTE  Financial aid may only be granted at one school during any given term. Please see the Office of Student Financial Aid for assistance with this process.

Senior Citizens

Senior citizens (age 60 and over) who are Ohio residents will have instructional fees waived if they elect to audit credit courses. (General fees and lab fees will be assessed.) Enrollment for seniors who wish to audit will be on a space-available basis and opens one week prior to the first day of each term.

Senior citizens who wish to earn credit for their courses will pay instructional and general fees and may enroll any time during the registration period. Additionally, they are required to fulfill all requirements outlined under regular admission.

Degree and Certificate Graduation Requirements

Students may graduate under any catalog five or fewer years old at the time of graduation except for students in the Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, Medical Laboratory Technology, Phlebotomy and Early Childhood Development programs. Students in these programs will graduate under the program requirements in place at the time of admission or re-admission to these career programs to ensure that students completing such programs will be eligible for early childhood education certification or properly prepared for the NCLEX Licensure Examination.

Transfer hours and/or quarter hours from Edison State will be managed as follows: Quarter hours from Edison State will be evaluated and converted to semester hours in the same manner as any transfer quarter hours from another college. For career programs, students must have 15 semester hours general education equivalency in required areas and meet Ohio Department of Higher Education specifications.  Advisors will use the Edison State conversion table for applying quarter hours courses to general education requirements. Students must fulfill the total number of all general education hours, but may be one semester hour short in any specific area.


Students nearing eligibility for graduation are required to complete an application form by the seventh week of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Summer graduates must complete these requirements by the seventh week of the Spring Semester and may participate in the commencement ceremony in May. Participation in the commencement ceremony requires a fee with the graduation application. Student accounts must be in good standing to be eligible for graduation.

The student's advisor and dean will certify on the application form that the student will be eligible for graduation upon successful completion of specified courses. The Registrar's Office will verify that all requirements have been satisfied prior to certification for graduation. 

The degree or certificate completion date will be based on both the semester when requirements are completed and the date application for the degree or certificate was submitted by the student. Except for extenuating circumstances, completion dates will not be backdated beyond the academic year (Fall through Summer) in which the application was submitted by the student.

Graduation with Honors

Students who have maintained a high level of academic achievement may be graduated with honors. Honors designations and overall grade point averages are: Highest Honors (4.0), High Honors (3.75-3.99), and Honors (3.5-3.74). Designation of honors for the graduation ceremony is based on the Fall Semester GPA.

Academic Honesty

It is the College's policy that students exhibit academic honesty and respect ethical standards in carrying out their academic assignments. Specific information with respect to conduct during in-class evaluations, written assignments, or other academic activities, is available in the Student Handbook or in the Student Services office.

Academic Probation, Suspension, Readmission

Academic Probation

Students failing to achieve a grade point average (GPA) in accordance with the following minimum requirements will be placed on academic probation:

Total Credit Hours Attempted*  Minimum Cumulative GPA 
12-15 semester hours 1.7
More than 15 to 30 semester hours 1.8
More than 30 to 40 semester hours 1.9
More than 40 semester hours 2.0

*Attempted hours do not include non-credit and non-graded courses; however, developmental course hours will count. "Academic Probation" will appear on the student's transcript. 

A transfer student will be admitted in good standing if his/her cumulative GPA at the previous college(s) meets the minimum cumulative GPA required by the probation policy of Edison State Community College. A transfer student with a GPA below 2.0 from their previous school(s) will be conditionally admitted and must meet with a Student Success Advisor prior to registration to participate in the Student Success Program. Transfer students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher or they will be placed on Academic Probation and subject to all relevant probation and suspension policies at Edison State Community College.

Any student on probation must meet with a Student Success Advisor prior to registration and participate in the Student Success Program. The advisor will determine an appropriate course load which may restrict the number of credit hours attempted and will develop a student success plan. A probationary student will be removed from probation which his/her cumulative GPA for courses taken at Edison State Community College meets the above requirements.

After a Student is Placed on Probation

A full-time student will continue on probation the following semester even though the cumulative GPA is below the minimum state in the probation policy. However, the student must achieve at least a 2.0 GPA for each semester while on probation. "Academic Probation" will appear on the student's transcript for each term of probation status.

A part-time student whose cumulative GPA is below the minimum stated in the probation policy will continue on probation. However, the student must achieve at least a 2.0 GPA during the semester(s) in which the next 12 credit hours are attempted. "Academic Probation" will appear on the student's transcript for each term of probation status.

Academic Suspension

A full-time student achieving less than a 2.0 GPA for the next semester following placement on probation and whose cumulative GPA is below the minimum stated in the probation policy will be suspended from the college.

A part-time student on probation achieving less than a 2.0 GPA over the semesters in which the next twelve (12) credit hours are attempted following placement on probation will be suspended from the college.

A full-time transfer student admitted conditionally who achieves less than a 2.0 GPA in his/her first semester (first twelve (12) credit hours for part-time transfer students) will be suspended from the college.

"Academic Suspension" will appear on the student's transcript of any student suspended.


Any student suspended for academic reasons for the first time qualifies for readmission on Conditional Status by remaining out of the college for at least one full semester (summer term excluded). He/she may also petition the Admission and Scholarship Committee for immediate readmission on Conditional Status. Petitions will be decided on an individual basis.

Conditional Status requires participation in the Student Success Program during the readmitting semester. Any student on Conditional Status may register during a regular semester for not more than seven (7) credit hours of course work nor for more than four (4) credits hours of course work in an eight week session; unless special permission is obtained from the Admission and Scholarship Committee.

Students readmitted after a first suspension, either by committee or by remaining out the required semester, will be suspended a second time if they do not fulfill the requirements of the Student Success Program and do not achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA for the readmitting semester.

After a second suspension, the student will be eligible to apply for readmission to the college on Conditional Status only after remaining out of the college for at least one full semester. No immediate readmission will be considered except in extraordinary circumstances.

Students readmitted after a second suspension must participate in the Student Success Program and an appropriate academic course load will be determined by the Student Success Advisor. Students readmitted after a second suspension will be suspended a third time if they do not fulfill the requirements of the Student Success Program and do not achieve a minimum 2.0 GPA for the readmitting semester.

Students suspended for the third time will be required to remain out of the college for one full year. Applications for readmission following a third suspension shall be processed by the Admission and Scholarship Committee on an individual basis.


The individual instructor has both the responsibility and the prerogative for managing student attendance. Learning is advanced by regular attendance in class and laboratory sessions. Commitment and responsibility are part of the growth expected from a college education. Students should attend all class and laboratory sessions, including examinations. Each faculty member will establish specific expectations pertaining to making up missed work and the relationship between attendance and grade determination.

Faculty report non-attendance and last date of attendance on regularly scheduled reports.
FINANCIAL AID NOTE   Failure to attend classes may result in having to repay part or all of your federal aid allowance.

Academic Amnesty

The Academic Amnesty policy allows degree- or certificate-seeking students returning to Edison State after a three-year absence to have their grades recalculated. To qualify to apply for amnesty after re-entry, students must earn a minimum of 15 non-developmental credit hours with a grade point average of at least 2.5. Students must complete the Petition for Academic Amnesty. The Director of Student Success has final authority for the approval or disapproval of each petition for amnesty.  Upon approval, academic amnesty applies only to courses taken prior to re-entry and is applied as follows:

  1. For courses taken prior to fall 2005, credit is retained, but not grades, for courses in which a "C" or higher was earned. All other courses are forfeited and will not satisfy prerequisite, degree, or certificate requirements.
  2. For courses taken in or after fall 2005, students retain credit but not grades for courses in which a grade of "D" or higher was earned. All other courses are forfeited and will not satisfy prerequisite, degree, or certificate requirements.
  3. GPA will be calculated from the period following amnesty.
  4. The student's transcript will record the grant of academic amnesty and the date of amnesty.
  5. Students who do not agree with the decision on academic amnesty may appeal the decision, in writing, to the Assistant Provost.
  6. Academic amnesty may be granted only once in a student's academic career at Edison State

Students are advised that credits may not transfer from terms in which amnesty is granted and, therefore, encouraged to check with their transfer institution before applying for amnesty. For specific details, contact your academic advisor or the Director of Student Success.

Developmental Courses

Edison State's "open door" admissions policy has made the opportunity of higher education available for students from a wide range of backgrounds. Since these backgrounds include varying degrees of preparation, the Developmental Education program offers supplementary instruction to prepare students for (and assist students during) their academic careers. Students, some of whom are returning to school after periods of work or family involvement, will find special courses and workshops to help them brush up on skills or simply readjust to the rigors of the academic world.

Students who would like extra study time in addition to class can study in groups in the Learning Center, receive individual help from tutors, or work on individualized computer software. All of the services available are designed to create a supportive, comfortable learning environment in which students can learn or refine the basic skills necessary for success in their college-level courses.

The courses offered through the Developmental program concentrate on improving skills in reading, English, and mathematics. While the credit earned by completing developmental courses does not count toward graduation, the courses are of great value in preparing students to be successful in upper level courses. The requirement to take developmental courses is based on assessment results, past academic performance, and the student's needs. The courses must be satisfactorily completed prior to enrolling in credit courses in the respective departments, unless given permission from the department.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

(1) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the College receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The College official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the College official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

(2) The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the College to amend a record should write the College official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, the College will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student's right to a hearing re­garding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

(3) The right to provide written consent before the College discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without con­sent:

1. To school officials with a legitimate educational interest (§99.31(a)(1)). 

The College discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law en­forcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the College has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of using College employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance com­mittee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educa­tion record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the College. Upon request, the College also discloses education records without consent to offi­cials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll and will make a reasonable attempt to notify each student of these disclosures when made.

2. To another school in which the student seeks or intends to enroll (§99.31(a)(2)).

3. To authorized representatives of various federal and state agencies (specified in the regulations) for the audit or evaluation of, enforcement of, or compliance with federally supported education programs (§99.31(a)(3)).

4. For certain purposes related to financial aid for which a student has applied or has received (§99.31(a)(4)).

5. To state and local officials to whom information was specifically required to be reported by a state law prior to Nov. 19, 1974 (§99.31(a)(5)).

6. To organizations conducting research for educational agencies or institutions for developing, validating or administering predictive tests; administering student aid programs; and improving instruction (§99.31(a)(6)).

7. To accrediting organizations performing their accrediting functions (§99.31(a)(7)).

8. To parents of a dependent student (§99.31(a)(8)).

9. To comply with a judicial order or subpoena (§99.31(a)(9)).

10. To appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency under certain conditions (§99.31(a) (10)).

11. If the information requested was designated as "directory information" by the educational institution (§99.31(a)(11)).

12. To the parent of a student who is not an eligible student or to the student (§99.31(a)(12)).

13. To the victim of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense when the information is related to the final results of the disciplinary proceeding conducted by the institution (§99.31(a)(13)).

14. In connection with a disciplinary proceeding at a postsecondary institution if it has determined that the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or nonforcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the institution's rules or policies(§99.31(a)(14)).

15. To a parent of a college student regarding the student's violation of any law or any institutional policy governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the student is under 21 at the time of the disclosure to the parent, providing state law does not prohibit the disclosure (§99.31(a)(15)).

16.  If the information concerns registered sex offenders provided under State sex offender registration and campus community notification programs (§ 99.31(a)(16)).

(4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC  20202-5901. 

FERPA Notice for Directory Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that Edison State Community College, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from education records. However, the College may disclose appropriately designated "directory information" without written consent, unless you have advised the College to the contrary in accordance with published procedures. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow the College to include non-invasive information from your education records in a number of ways, such as inclusion in certain school publications, press releases or online media. Examples include:  

  • Dean's List or other recognition lists;
  • Graduation programs;
  • Sports activity sheets showing weight and height of team members;
  • College's website, Facebook page, or other online presence. 

Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, may also be disclosed to outside organizations and individuals without a student's prior written consent.

If you do not want the College to disclose directory information from your education records without your prior written consent, you must notify the College Registrar in writing. Edison State Community College has designated the following information as directory information:  

  • Name
  • Address(es)
  • Telephone number(s)
  • Email address(es)
  • Photograph(s) and video(s)
  • Major field of study
  • Dates of attendance
  • Grade level (such as freshman, sophomore)
  • Enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time)
  • Date of graduation and degree(s)/certificate(s) conferred
  • Honors or awards received, including selection to a dean's list or honorary organization
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and athletics 
  • Weight and height where the student is a member of an athletic team
  • Most recent previous school attended